NUI Galway reports on-campus racial abuse to Gardaí

“We do not and will not tolerate racism”, a spokesperson for the university said

The National University of Ireland Galway (NUI Galway) has contacted An Garda Síochána over the harassment of a student on campus.

In a video posted to Twitter on Wednesday, a man can be seen shouting racial slurs and other abuse at the student, who filmed the incident and shared it online.

A cyclist can be seen trying to intervene during the verbal assault, but the man ignores this and continues to yell at the student.

In an email statement to Trinity News, a spokesperson for NUI Galway said: “As a University of Sanctuary, respect and openness are our core values. We do not and will not tolerate racism and find any incidence of racism abhorrent.”

“As an educational institution, we are taken aback at such attitudes on our campus and will pursue all avenues to reject and eradicate racism and to support members of our community and our society who are subjected to such wholly unacceptable behaviour and attitudes. This matters to us all.”

Since being posted to social media, the video has been viewed more than 1.2 million times.

Speaking to Trinity News, NUI Galway Students’ Union President Pádraic Toomey said: “We are appalled by the racist attack which occurred on our campus this week.”

“We have reached out to the victim to offer our support and the university is launching an investigation into the incident. Racism has no place in Ireland and should be called out.”

He added that “any of our students affected by this should contact our Vice President for Welfare & Equality”.

Jack Kennedy

Jack Kennedy

Jack Kennedy is the current Assistant Editor of Trinity News. He is a Senior Sophister Engineering student, and a former Online Editor and Deputy Online Editor.