Trinity to provide transfers and meal services for arriving international students

International students arriving from non-green list countries must restrict their movements for two weeks  

College has confirmed plans to provide airport transfers and a meal service to international students restricting their movements during their first two weeks in Dublin, in communication with affected students this weekend.

International students received a message from Vice-Provost Jürgen Barkhoff enclosing details about plans held by College and a request to complete a form containing travel information.

After previous communications from accommodation services that provided partial information about quarantine upon arrival to Ireland amid Covid-19, the message offered confirmation from Trinity itself to international students detailing plans for students across accommodation outlets.

In accordance with government guidelines, all new arrivals to Ireland, with the exception of those arriving from a few countries on the previously determined “green list”, must restrict their movements for fourteen days upon entering the country, only leaving for exercise. 

Barkhoff’s stated that “all universities in Ireland have committed to ensuring all such students can be accommodated in university or university secured accommodation for this time”. 

The form provided to international students and required for completion by Monday, August 10, required information on flight details, including the time and date of arrival to the airport, and the address of a student’s accommodation.

Trinity plans to provide a “meet and greet service” for all arriving international students between the airports and various accommodation buildings where students plan to spend their period of restricted movement. 

Additionally, Barkhoff said that “all supports such as shopping and meals will be provided/in place”. No further details on how such a meal delivery service would operate were disclosed. 

Furthermore, plans were laid out for providing an “induction and information programme for incoming and continuing students”, alongside “online social opportunities.”

As international students complete the form and offer information such as their date of arrival and plans for accommodation, Trinity hopes to further plan the services they will provide to incoming students. 

Professor Barkhoff noted that “the situation with Covid-19 continues to evolve constantly”, and Trinity will continue planning in accordance with government regulations and in the best interest of their students.

The new academic year is due to begin on September 28 with lectures for returning students and orientation for first-year students. Lectures for new students are due to commence on October 5, a week later than returning students due to a delay in the publication of Leaving Certificate results. 

Audrey Brown

Audrey Brown is a Deputy News Editor of Trinity News.