College announces Covid-19 testing facility

College have stated that voluntary, regular screening would be available to residents of college housing as well as testing for any student who develops symptoms

In an email circulated to students this morning, Trinity outlined “two significant measures to make College a safer place for all of us” in order to mitigate the spread of Covid-19. 

First, College announced a collaboration with the HSE to establish a free on-campus testing facility for people with symptoms of Covid-19. 

If a student begins experiencing symptoms suggestive of Covid-19, he or she is advised to contact the College Health Centre by telephone, in which case a College Health GP will determine the necessity of a test. The email to students detailed that “in the majority of cases, the test can then be carried out the same day”. 

Trinity is currently the only university in Ireland to provide a free Covid-19 screening service.

Additionally, College will be offering regular screenings for residents of Trinity Hall and on-campus accommodation. 

For the time frame on how often these tests will be administered, “the exact details still need to be decided and ethics approval needs to be secured”, but it was stressed that the plan to secure these regular tests is underway. 

This programme is voluntary and students and staff are due to be able to receive a regular, non-invasive test that “should be regarded as an extra measure to prevent the spread of the virus.” 

Regardless of both new developments, College maintains that vigilance and common sense are still paramount.

In cases of experiencing symptoms and awaiting an on-campus test, “it is vital to emphasise that you must still isolate yourself at home if you suspect you have the virus”. Furthermore, if a student tests negative, he or she may “quickly return to normal life”, but if the test is positive, College urges the adherence to HSE guidelines of a 14-day isolation period.

The email to students also included a reminder that face coverings are now mandatory in teaching and learning situations as well as in all libraries and indoor public spaces. 

Audrey Brown

Audrey Brown is a Senior Fresher English Studies student, and the Deputy News Editor of Trinity News.