This week in Trinity: Freshers’ Week 2020

Beach cleanups, cooking classes, debates, audition workshops and even nights out move online for this year’s unforgettable Freshers’ Week.

After weeks of planning, anticipation and practice runs of zoom events, Freshers’ Week 2020 is upon us! It will be a Freshers’ Week like no other, one that has truly tested the creativity of society committee members. Although online events may never replicate that dubious thrill of being slightly too tipsy in a nightclub full of fellow Trinity students, college societies have organised a slew of workshops, talks, debates, concerts and much more for you to virtually attend.  

The first thing to do is to head to the Central Societies Committee’s website and go to the Trinity Societies Sign Up Hub, from where you can browse through societies and find ones to join. You can also see the list of online events that are planned for each day of the week.

On Tuesday, the Visual Arts Society and the Fashion Society will be hosting an upcycling class, where you can get tips on how to restyle your clothes in the spirit of sustainability and environmentalism. With your heart full of environmental justice, virtually head on over to the Environmental Society, which will be hosting a cook along on Wednesday, something handy for any first years floundering in the sudden responsibility of having to cook your own food. The Environmental Society will also be organising a beach cleanup on Thursday. In the absence of a beach, you can go out to clean your local area, share a photo of your work and be in with a chance to win a prize. 

Never underestimate the fun potential of a society quiz! Yes, quiz, and please don’t roll your eyes. There will be a veritable multitude of quizzes planned throughout the week, and they are a great way to meet new people with similar interests while picking up some handy trivia. On Thursday evening, there will be a Q Soc speed friending quiz night and a DU Science Society Quiz, while computer science nerds might enjoy the DU Computer Science online quiz on Tuesday. On Friday, the Society for International Affairs has an Around the World in 20 Questions virtual trivia night planned.

For those new to Trinity, or returning veterans, Freshers’ Week comedy debates are something to be sure not to miss. On Wednesday evening, the Hist will be arguing whether “This House Regrets Love in the Time of Covid”, while on Thursday the Phil will argue that “There are no Normal People at Trinity”. For more hilarity, DU Players will premiere a debate with the Phil on Wednesday titled, “This House Believes Nice Guys Finish Last”. 

There will also be a series of discussions and workshops with more serious undertones. On Tuesday, the Literary Society will be hosting a conversational coffee hour on the theme of Feminism in Literature. Also on Tuesday, DU Amnesty International and Q Soc will be hosting an online meeting entitled “Fighting for LGBTQ+ Equality in Poland”. On Wednesday, there will be a panel discussion on Racism in Irish Education, hosted by the Hist in collaboration with the Afro Carribean Society. 

Students interested in the performing arts might enjoy Trinity Musical Theatre Society’s audition workshop on Wednesday evening, or their “Getting to Know You” – Hats and Chats event on Thursday. DU Players will also be holding online conversations each day at 4pm on different aspects of theatre production, from acting to set design to directing. 

For anyone who is missing the thump of nightclub music and rounds of tequila shots, never fear, for there are also virtual nights out organised by the steadfast rock that is Trinity Ents. On Tuesday evening, Trinity Ents and the Law Society will host Locktails, a lockdown cocktail making class. Your new cocktail making skills will come into perfect use the following evening, on Wednesday, for Trinity Ents’ Online Freshers’ Concert, beginning at 9pm. To finish off Freshers’ Week, Trinity Ents also has a Watch Party planned for Friday evening, with a number of surprises to be announced on the night. For something a little more themed, why not join the Classical Society for its Dress and Guess zoom party on Friday to show off your toga toting capabilities. 

Whether you are a gamer, a knitter, a writer, a filmmaker, a botanist or a yoga lover, there will be a Freshers’ Week event for you. Trinity’s societies have put in the work; they have mastered zoom and online webinars, overcome last minute changes to social distancing regulations. All that’s left is for you to go online and enjoy this year’s Freshers’ Week – you don’t even have to get out of your pyjamas.