Points rise for nearly 75% of courses in CAO offers

The significant increase in points is due to the high calculated grades in the Leaving Certificate this year, with scores on average 4.4% higher than last year

Points have risen for nearly three quarters of all Level 8 courses across higher education institutes, according to data from the Central Applications Office (CAO).

78,950 places in college, university or other higher education institutions have been offered to 53,815 applicants, following the release of Leaving Certificate grades earlier this week. The difference between numbers of places offered and applicants signals that some incoming students have been offered both a position in a level 6/ level 7 course, as well as an offer in a level 8 course.

The significant increase in points has been attributed to high calculated grades, with scores on average 4.4% higher than last year. 

In Level 6 and Level 7 courses, there has been a 60% increase in points over the last year.

Courses in medicine have all seen an increase in points, with Trinity’s medicine course being up the most by 5 points, bringing it to a total of 735 points alongside the HPAT results. 

This morning, the Higher Education Authority (HEA) announced the introduction of 2,225 additional places being made for incoming third-level students, a 12% increase in places from last year. 

The additional places announced by the HEA today include just 16 places in medicine, across University College Cork (UCC), National University of Ireland Galway (NUI Galway) and the Royal College of Surgeons. 

These are among 218 additional places across health science courses. 

In Nursing, Trinity’s course has seen an increase of 36 points to 430, with Dublin City University’s (DCU) course increasing 40 points, and University College Dublin (UCD) rising by 31 points.

In Trinity, points have also risen for Engineering, the course now standing at 510 points, Global Business has increased to 589 and Computer Science has risen to 509, while several courses have risen above the 60p point mark.

Management Science and Information Systems Studies has risen to 613, Law and Business and Political Science both increasing to 602, and Dental Science increasing to 613.

There was an unexpected increase in Drama and Theatre Studies at Trinity, with the course rising by 69 points, bringing it to a total of 564 points. 

The rise in points was not largely reflected in the Arts and Humanities courses, with most courses accepting points similar to previous years.

Students have until 3pm on September 16 to accept round one offers, with Round Two offers out from September 23 at 10am.

In Trinity, incoming first year students are to start lectures on October 5, with Freshers’ Week beginning on September 28. Teaching for returning students resumes alongside Freshers’ Week.