Trinity’s Sports facilities temporarily closed until restrictions lift

Due to the introduction of Level 5 restrictions last night, Trinity Sport will be temporarily moving back online

Following the announcement from government on Monday that Level 5 restrictions would come into effect at midnight last night, Trinity Sport announced yesterday that they have temporarily closed all facilities on campus, within Trinity Hall, and other centres at Santry, Iveagh and Islandbridge from midnight last night. 

The closure will also impact the T-Tech Boxing facility. 

Earlier in the week, Provost Patrick Prendergast’s reassurances students that “not much will change” in Trinity, due to College already operating at a “high level of safety”.

Trinity Sport outlined that only sports scholarship athletes who are deemed elite will be permitted to use the high-performance gym on campus.

This follows a wider closure of all leisure and sports centres across the country for six weeks while still prioritising elite sports. In an update to its members, Trinity Sport noted this would mean “Trinity clubs’ fixtures, activities and the hosting of club training will also be cancelled”.

Trinity Sport also spoke about the impact on membership fees, stating: “We will freeze all monthly payments and extend annual memberships and locker rentals to reflect the closure period.” 

The announcement continued: “During this challenging time both your physical and mental health are very important. To help… Trinity Sport is launching a new fitness platform, ‘Trinity Sport +’ from Friday October 23, where you will be able to access all our new on-demand fitness classes.” 

Additionally, the streaming service, the announcement explained, will offer “live streaming classes starting from Thursday October 29. Our zoom fitness classes will also be accessible for free until this date.” 

For those who want to get out of the house, the Trinity Sport team have created 2K, 3K, 5K and 10K walking and running routes around both campus and Trinity Hall. 

Trinity Sport concluded in its announcement, stating: “Just like last time, we want to keep you moving, so make sure to stay tuned to our social media channels.” 

Adam Balchin

Adam Balchin is Deputy Online Editor for Trinity News, and a Senior Sophister Law student.