Firm decision yet to be taken on Trinity Ball

Trinity Ball 2020 was cancelled in response to government Covid-19 restrictions

No firm decision has yet been taken by College on the fate of next year’s Trinity Ball.

It is understood that College has not yet made a decisive choice on whether Trinity Ball will take place in 2021. 

A meeting of the College Capititations Committee last week was told that there is no decision “at the moment” on whether the Ball will go ahead.

Usually taking place in April, Trinity Ball 2020 was cancelled in response to government restrictions to curb the spread of Covid-19. 

Students were refunded for their purchase of tickets after the government officially restricted the organisation of large gatherings past the date scheduled for the event. 

The Capitations Committee heard that the Trinity Ball committee intends to keep planning towards the holding of a ball in the knowledge that future Covid-19 restrictions must be observed.

It is hoped by College that the ball will take place, but it is not certain whether it will.

The Trinity Ball committee has met and discussed the terms of reference for the committee into the future.

The Trinity Ball committee’s role relates to the formation of contracts between College and various agents and artists, and the uncertainty of government restrictions over holding the event this spring caused more difficulty in its organisation than usual. 

The situation with Trinity Ball in 2020 was described as “very sensitive” in that the committee had already begun securing contracts, so College could not say that the ball had been cancelled until the government said that events could not go ahead.

This year’s Trinity Ball, which was due to be held on April 14, was officially cancelled on March 24 after the government announced that all colleges would remain closed until April 19.

Speaking to Trinity News, then-Trinity College Dubin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Ents Officer Judith Robinson said that “following the announcement made by the Taoiseach this afternoon it is clear now that Trinity Ball will be unable to go ahead”.

“I am very saddened by this as we had such a fantastic line up and a huge amount of work has been put in to prepare for the ball.”

”However,” Robinson added, “we have to remember that it is for the best, and what is important now is our health and well being.”

Schools, colleges and childcare facilities initially closed around Ireland on March 12, with an initial two week closure extended for several months as Covid-19 restrictions continued.

Trinity Ball 2020 would have been headlined by Tinie Tempah, who was booked to perform in addition to 16 other acts, including Irish rapper Rejjie Snow and British DJ Eats Everything.

Other acts included Cooks but We’re Chefs, Lyra, Franc Moody, Moncrief, Maliki and Holly Lester. 

Audrey Brown

Audrey Brown is a Senior Fresher English Studies student, and the Deputy News Editor of Trinity News.