Further case of Covid-19 detected in TBSI

An email seen by Trinity News confirmed a sixth case of Covid-19 has been detected in TBSI, this time on the sixth floor of the building

Another case of Covid-19 has been detected on campus, despite many students having most or all of their tuition online. 

In an email from the Professor of Experimental Immunology Kingston Mills,  researchers in the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute (TBSI) were told that there had been an additional case of Covid-19.

Five cases of Covid-19 have recently been reported within the TBSI, two weeks prior. 

The email, seen by Trinity News, stated that the person who had tested positive for the virus worked on the sixth floor of the building, and they had last been on campus on November 18. 

The email confirmed that all close contacts had been informed. 

When contacted by Trinity News, College did not make any comment. 

The first confirmed case of the virus within Trinity, back in March, was also reported in the TBSI building . 

At the time, the building’s fourth floor and lifts were closed to allow for cleaning to take place. 

Following the outbreak of 5 cases in the building two weeks ago, the lab in which the outbreak occurred was closed for a quarantine period. 

In the email to researchers, Mills asked everyone to “be vigilant re social distancing, especially on the balconies during coffee/ lunch breaks”.

Level Five restrictions were introduced on Thursday, October 22 across Ireland, placing strict limitations on most forms of social activity. Level Five restrictions are expected to lift on December 1, however government is yet to announce their decision.

In Trinity, most teaching is being conducted online, with some essential in-person classes required for accreditation, such as labs, taking place on-campus. Research activities have also been permitted to continue on-site. 

The Library has remained open under Level Five, along with the student breakout spaces that were introduced on campus at the start of the semester.