Printing House Square expected to be completed by spring 2021

While Professor O’Kelly stated that construction on the accommodation complex is expected to finish in spring 2021, delays may occur due to decreased capacity with social distancing requirements

The construction of Printing House Square is expected to be completed for spring 2021, after facing several delays over the last few years.

The accommodation complex was expected to be completed this summer; however, construction on the site had to halt due to the lockdown following the outbreak of Covid-19 in March.

Speaking to Trinity News, a College spokesperson confirmed: “At the last Student life Committee meeting (October 13) the project sponsor Professor Kevin O’Kelly reported that Printing House Square is currently due for completion in spring 2021.”

They added: “He also reported that productivity on building sites is currently at below fifty percent due to hygiene and social distancing requirements, and this may impact on delivery dates.”

The on-campus accommodation is expected to house 250 students.

Trinity Hall is also looking to add 358 beds in the Dartry complex.

At the Dublin University Central Athletic Committee (DUCAC) AGM, Head of Trinity Sport Michelle Tanner when asked about the delays to Printing House Square said the delays were due to disruptions caused by the pandemic as well as unspecified “legal issues”. 

Tanner explained that College “should make a statement on [Printing House Square] soon”.

In July, TheJournal.ie reported that concerns over students’ “late-night” behaviour at Trinity Hall had prompted residents to reject College’s plans for 358 extra bed spaces.

As well as providing six storeys of accommodation for students, Printing House Square will house a new Health Centre, the Disability Service, and sports facilities, including a rifle range, squash courts and a handball alley.

The building will be located on the former site of Oisin House and beside the Printing House, and will feature a courtyard that will serve as a new public entrance to campus.

Demolition of the east end of campus is also expected to finish in springtime of next year, with construction set to start by the end of April 2021.