Trinity offers congratulations to Joe Biden on election win

Following the Democratic win this afternoon, several students have spoke to Trinity News to express their overall joy at the result

Trinity has offered congratulations to Joe Biden on being elected to be the 46th president of the United States. 

Joe Biden is set to be the next president of the United States, after he won enough states to secure more than the required 270 electoral votes. 

This has been one of the closest elections since 2000, with the results in many states only coming down to a few thousand votes. 

Pennsylvania played a key role in Biden’s victory, with 3,000 votes that were announced this afternoon in Pennsylvania resulting in Biden increasing his lead to 49.6% in the state over 49.1% for Trump.

In 2016, Biden received an honorary doctorate from Trinity to acknowledge his contribution to the world of politics. It was his first such degree outside the United States.

Speaking to Trinity News, several students have reacted to the news of a democratic win in the States, with two students simply saying “thank fucking God”.

The election of Biden has caused unprecedented rejection from current US president Donald Trump, with him stating in a press release this evening that “the election is far from over”.

Another Trinity student from the United States told Trinity News: “Trump’s presidency was a four-year step back after Obama’s two steps forward; but now it feels like we’re heading the right direction again”.

The Trump administration has already brought several lawsuits against the Biden campaign, claiming fraudulent voting was used in the election. 

Speaking to Trinity News, another student from the States said: “I am beyond happy that we voted Trump out of office. Now we have to work to undo everything he did in office.”

A student from California said that Biden’s win feels like “release”, following days of waiting, refreshing and checking the results over the last few days. 

They added that the happiness is “overwhelming”. 

“People were cheering on the streets of my hometown … I am ecstatic.”

Joe Biden accepted the result following the race call on American news networks, stating that he is “honored” that Americans have chosen him as their next president. He added: “I will be a President for all Americans – whether you voted for me or not.”

Additional reporting by Audrey Brown, Kerry O’Sullivan and Eva O’Beirne.

This article was amended at 7:57pm on November 7 to include an additional quotation from an American student.