New Munster Technological University officially opens today

The university will cater for 18,000 students

This morning, Minister for Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science Simon Harris announced that the new Munster Technological University (MTU) is officially opening its doors.

Minister Harris made the announcement on his Twitter saying that it is “a major day for Higher Education” and calling the announcement “an exciting start to the year”.

MTU has been formed through a merger between Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) and Institute of Technology Tralee (IT Tralee). He also praised the “rigorous and robust” work both of CIT and IT Tralee in getting MTU up and running.

Minister Harris highlighted that MTU will both “improve access to higher education in that region” and foster collaboration between higher education and the industry sector; Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SME’s) and multinational companies for example.

Minister Harris went on to say that this will help to create the opportunity “not just for jobs but for good jobs” for future university graduates.

MTU will cater for 18,000 students in the South-West of the country. 

MTU will be spread over five campuses; CIT Bishopstown, IT Tralee, CIT School of Music, CIT Crawford College of Art and Design and the National Maritime College of Ireland in Ringaskiddy. 

Speaking on the opening, new MTU President Maggie Cusack said that it was an exciting day for the region, “this is an auspicious day for the region with the formation of MTU that will benefit students, staff, and stakeholders for generations”.

MTU is now the second Technological University in the country after Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) merged with IT Tallaght and IT Blachardstown to become the new Technological University Dublin (TU Dublin) 

In 2018, the project was awarded €2 million by the Department of Education to work on the development of its TU status and was awarded a further €2.3 million in 2017.

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.