Students who leave on-campus accommodation before March to be entitled to refunds

College accommodation is remaining open this semester with mitigation measures for students who choose to leave early

Students due to live on-campus this semester who choose to leave before the end of February will only be charged for the time they spent in the accommodation.

For students who want to remain, College accommodation is staying open during Hillary Term.

However, College is asking students to consider whether it is necessary for them to return in an effort to avoid any unnecessary travel alongside implementing contingency measures as a result of the ongoing Level 5 restrictions.

New tenants who have not yet decided to travel to their accommodation can now be released from their accommodation contract and will not be charged if they decide not to take up accommodation this term. 

New tenants who are already in residence may opt to return home up until February 28 and will only be charged up to the date they, and their belongings, vacate their room. 

Any international students planning to return next term are being asked to contact the Global Office before they travel to “clarify the current situation regarding visas and online teaching.” 

Existing residents who decide not to return after Christmas will only be charged for Michaelmas Term up to January 23. Any existing residents who opt to return home before February 28 will only be charged up until the day they vacate their room and will be released from their contract once their outstanding bill is covered. 

After March 1, residents will be subject to fees and liable for payments based on their existing agreement.

A packing and shipping service will be put in place for students not returning who have left belongings in their accommodation. The service will cost €200 plus the cost of shipping and will be done via UPS. 

Students who leave belongings in their accommodation and do not return may still incur a fee.

These new measures will apply to Trinity owned accommodation only. This does not include Trinity partnered accommodation such as Binary Hub and Kavanagh Court.

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) said they “hope that these measures will allow students to prioritise their safety without incurring any penalty or fees”.

They are asking that “every resident consider their options carefully and make a decision based on their personal circumstances”.

Speaking to Trinity News, TCDSU president Eoin Hand stated that he is “very happy” with the agreement that “no administration fee or advanced notice period fee would apply to students who are continuing residences, or new residences for the Hilary Term period in Trinity Hall and Trinity Campus accommodation.”

Hand said that upon the request of TCDSU “the period of time given to students to decide if they should stay or should they go was also extended by a number of weeks to give students the necessary time to make a decision”.

He said that they are “currently working closely with the College to see what can be done” to accomodate students in Trinity-partnered accommodation Binary Hub and Kavanagh Court, who are not currently included under the measures. 

When the first set of Level 5 restrictions were introduced in October,Trinity offered licence fee refunds to students living in accommodation, minus the cost due for the four week notice period.

Students were asked at that time not to leave accommodation if it meant they would not be able to attend in-person classes.

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.