Power outage at Kavanagh Court leaves students locked out of online classes

Following the power outage, the accommodation complex told students that they expected power to be restored to the complex by 1:15pm

Earlier today, a power outage in the Kavanagh Court accommodation complex left students without access to power or Wifi to attend their online classes. 

On the Electricity Services Board (ESB) website, it states that electricity is out in the area in which Kavanagh Court is situated, with Kavanagh Court telling students that power was expected to be restored by 1:15 this afternoon. 

Speaking to Trinity News, a student in Kavanagh Court explained that the main problem with the outage was that “everyone is of course on Wifi for classes”, and so students without access to hotspots or had low phone batteries created “a bit of a scramble” among the students in the complex. 

The student added that the other “slightly annoying thing” is that the bathrooms in the complex “don’t have emergency power” so they are quite dark. 

The student described that due to the outage, students were left with no hot water, and no fridge or freezer or oven power either during the outage. 

In an email to students living in the complex during the outage, Kavanagh Court said that they were aware of the power outage and were “working hard to get it back up and running”. 

Power was restored to the complex at approximately 1:02, after being off for almost an hour. 

Another student, who missed a presentation in their class through the outage, said that “it makes an already anxiety-inducing time all the worse”. They had to reschedule their presentation for tomorrow. 

Kavanagh Court is not an official Trinity residence for its students; however, Kavanagh Court is partnered with Trinity residences to provide accommodation to students.