This Week at Trinity: Trinity Green Week, Trinity Arts Festival and DU Players’ Glitter Week

Week 4 is a busy one at Trinity, crammed with art, theatre and all things green

It seems as though spring has finally sprung, and although we may all be missing pints at the pav after (read: instead of) lectures, some extra sunshine is certainly welcome. Even if the extended daylight isn’t enough to lift your spirits, this week brings Trinity Green Week, Trinity Arts Festival and DU Players’ Glitter Week, a festival of queer culture and performance. If a jam-packed week of panel discussions, poetry, theatre, sourdough, cocktails and concerts doesn’t keep you entertained and suitably distracted from lectures, then nothing will.

Trinity Green Week kicks off on Monday 1pm with Chancellor Mary McAleese, Provost Patrick Prendergast, Sustainability Advisor Michele Hallahan and Students’ Union Environmental Officer Aine Hennessy introducing this year’s theme; ‘2030: Time for a Game Change.’ Events throughout the week will focus on the steps we need to take globally if we are to avert irreversible climate change within the 9-year warning given by the UN. A number of societies will be involved in different events, including DU Zoosoc’s Rewilding Ireland discussion on Tuesday, and TCD Environmental Society’s Climate and Inequalities evening on Monday. The Hist’s Wednesday debate is titled This House Prefers Environmental Pessimism to Environmental Optimism, while the Phil will explore the pervasive and seemingly unavoidable presence of fast fashion with their Thursday debate, This House would Ban Fast Fashion Companies. Also on Thursday is a discussion from the Senior Planning and Sustainability engineer at the University of British Columbia, who will be talking about how to create a greener campus.

Trinity Arts Festival begins on Monday with a coffee morning at 11am. From then, there will be a photography workshop, a Guerrilla Gig with Ellie O’Neill, a Depop guide, the opening of Bare, a TAF and DU Photography Association exhibition, and an online orchestra concert. And that’s just Monday. Over the rest of the week there will be yoga classes, an emerging Irish designers panel discussion, a cocktail making workshop, along with ‘Guerilla Gigs’each day. There are too many events to list, so we suggest that you head to the Trinity Arts Festival Facebook page for the full schedule. The week will finish off with a DUDJ Closing Party beginning at 6pm on Friday.

Moving on to DU Players’ Glitter Week, as if you don’t already have enough events to choose from. The week is dedicated to a celebration of queer culture and performance, with daily theatre installations and poetry highlights. There is also an Advice for Baby Gays Column, opening on Monday and running through the week. On Thursday there will be a Gender Talk with Q Soc, followed by a Drag Gospel Hour. Each evening brings a different performance, culminating in Friday’s closing party at 8pm.

Other things you should know about this week include the DU Classical Society and DU Archaeological Society’s annual Toga Party on Thursday. Grab yourself a bed sheet, fashion a toga, and imagine yourself back in ancient times, albeit ones that feature zoom. On Friday, Danny O Reilly from The Coronas will address Law Soc as a recipient of the 2021 Praeses Elit Award.

DU Film Society are looking for submissions for Issue 2 of The Film Zine, an exciting audio-visual publication. Submissions should be in by April 8th, and can be in the form of film, poetry, artwork, photography, prose, cover art and audio. More details can be found on their Facebook page. Submissions are also now open for TCD Visual Arts Society End of Year Exhibition. 2D and 3D pieces are accepted, along with short films and videos. Finally, Trinity Musical Theatre just released their virtual production of Into the Woods for 2020’s Musical Theatre Intervarsity Competition. If the calibre and skill of TMT’s previous productions are anything to go by, this is definitely worth watching, musical theatre enthusiast or not.