10,253 students chose Trinity as their first preference in CAO applications

14.5 % of applicants for Level 8 courses in the CAO system have picked Trinity as their first choice

Central Applications Office (CAO) First Preference Applications to Trinity have increased by 38% for 2021, with a record high of 10,253 students.

This is a significant rise from 2020, which saw CAO First Preference Applications at 8,381 students. This was a 9% rise previously from the 2019 applications.

14.5 % of applicants for Level 8 courses in the CAO system have picked Trinity as their first choice (12% in 2020). Overall applicants to Trinity are up 32% at 22,729.

This includes a 44% rise in Engineering, a 52% rise in Computer Science, a 58% rise in Medicine and a 19% rise in Dental Science in First Preference applications.

Around 264 students have applied for the new E3 course Environmental Science and Engineering, with 37 students putting it down as their first preference.

First preferences in BESS went up 40%, in History went up 90% and PPES went up 62%. Applications for the Trinity Joint Honors Program have doubled.

In a quote from Trinity Provost Dr. Patrick Pendergast: “These are record numbers and we are thrilled to see such an increase in interest in attending Trinity in 2021/2022, evident across all our faculties and Schools.”

“There has been an enormous increase in interest in the Health Sciences in particular, but our STEM and Arts/Humanities and Social Sciences courses are also attracting greater numbers of interested students.”

He continued: “I am also particularly pleased that our new Trinity Joint Honours programme is proving to be so attractive to prospective students. We look forward to welcoming an enthusiastic new cohort of students in September as they embark on a new phase of their education.”

Vice-Provost Juergen Barkhoff added: “We are conscious of – and indeed moved by – the trust that these students are placing in Trinity.”

“We want to reassure them that the beginning of the vaccination programme gives us good reason to hope that much of the university will be back to normal when these students enter Trinity for the first time.”

Trinity’s researchers, its teaching staff and most of all Trinity’s students have shown themselves to be remarkably resilient. We are now carefully and thoroughly preparing for a slow and safe return to normal College life.

Julia Bochenek

Julia Bochenek is a Staff Writer for Trinity News, and a Junior Sophister English Studies student.