Butter me up: Day One of a week of Buttery breakfasts, lunches and dinners

Ben McConkey and Peter Benson eat exclusively at the Buttery

We’ve all heard of Supersize Me – the documentary about a man who eats nothing but McDonald’s for a month. We’re taking the idea to a more Trinity level.

We’re Ben McConkey and Peter Benson, but who we are doesn’t matter – it’s all about the food. In the name of science, we’re taking on the challenge of a week of eating only from The Buttery. We’ve really appreciated the developments the Buttery has taken this term. Obviously, the staple “half-price using T-Card” makes this financially feasible, but they’ve also increased the proportion of their food that is vegetarian and vegan friendly.

The rules of this challenge are simple. Everything we eat for five days must be purchased at the Buttery -Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. Buttery!

To really put the Buttery to the test, we’ll be doing this challenge as vegetarians.

Take our hand and follow us on this student, culinary journey!

Day One

What did we eat (two people)?

• 3 Item Breakfast (Hashbrowns, Mushrooms)
  • 5 Item Breakfast (Hashbrowns, Mushrooms, Beans, Eggs)
  • An Apple
  • Strawberry Yoghurt
  • Chilli Bean Biryani x4
  • Danish x2
  • Tayto
  • Leek and Potato Soup x2
  • Fruit salad
  • Lemon Pie

How much did it cost?

• €20.45

How was it?

The major takeaway from today was that the 5-item breakfast is food-baby-inducing. Like a dog who’s eaten the Christmas turkey, there had to be a period of digestion before we could return to online lectures.

We found the leek and potato soup adequately creamy, but not overly mushy, with chewy vegetable chunks still intact – as you can tell our standards have already lowered.

We enjoyed the cultural fusion that was chilli bean biryani and mashed potato – never skimp on extra veg! It has been said that one cannot beat a cuboid-carrot.

Today was our first go at a Buttery Danish ever. The sugary coating provided some serious finger-licking goodness, that made us feel like New York cops walking the Brooklyn-beat, such was the immediate sense of sweet, sweet guilt that followed. We couldn’t help but notice the awkward gazes as we salivated across front square.

Today was a solid start, scoring four Paddys out of five on the Prendergast Scale.

How are we?

We’re not quite acclimatised to canteen food yet, but we’re not sure we want to be. Feel well and truly buttered up and slimy, ready to slide our way to bed.

Buttery teeth… I mean, bon appétit!