Greg Arrowsmith elected Ents Officer with 50.5% on second count in tight result

Arrowsmith has secured the position over fellow candidate Antonia Brady

Greg Arrowsmith has been elected the next Entertainments Officer for Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) after receiving 50.5% of the vote on a second count.

After a total valid poll on the first count of 3,216, the quota for being elected was 1,609. Brady secured 1,559 votes on the first count, and Arrowsmith received 1,594 votes. 

As neither of the candidates reached the quota, the second preferences of voters who gave their first preference to re-open nominations and indicated a second preference were redistributed.

On the second count, Arrowsmith received 1,605 votes and Brady received 1,573. 

Throughout his campaign, Arrowsmith focused on three main promises: to open the Pav by September for weekly events, and to host both a Senior Freshers’ Week and a second Trinity Ball.

He has also emphasised the importance of accessibility at events and established plans for improving student welfare at events, as well as proposing a “Zoom Playbook” if events are to remain online.

After results were announced, Arrowsmith revealed that he “thought [Brady] had it in the bag” and that he “couldn’t believe it was that close”. 

He thanked his own campaign team and congratulated opponent Brady for putting in “such a good campaign”, stating that he was “gobsmacked” by the election. 

A Trinity News poll conducted last week saw Arrowsmith at 37.3% of the vote, while Brady had been leading at 61.2% of decided voters.

Emer Moreau has been elected the next editor of the University Times over fellow candidate Peter Caddle.

Results from the races for Communications and Marketing Officer, Welfare and Equality Officer, Education Officer and President are due to be announced throughout the evening.

Audrey Brown

Audrey Brown is a Senior Fresher English Studies student, and the Deputy News Editor of Trinity News.