Eva Craig elected JCR president

Five of the 11 positions on the committee were contested

Eva Craig has been elected president of the Trinity Hall Junior Common Room (JCR) Committee for 2021/22.

Craig, a BESS student from Sligo, was unopposed in the election and secured 86.4% of the vote. In her manifesto, she pledged to “to continue to develop this welcoming and vibrant community” and oversee a successful “Covid-Comeback”.

Rory Chinn, a History and Politics student from Dublin, was elected Vice President/Treasurer. He received 53.6% of the vote, while Síofra McCarthy, a Biomedical Science student, received 45.5%. Chinn promised to organise a “six night halls international trip” in his campaign.

Sanjana Pradheep, a BESS student from Oman and India, was elected Secretary, having run unopposed.

Aoife Bennett, an English Studies student from Belfast, won the Welfare Officer election, beating out Cora Joy, a Physiotherapy student. Bennet received 62.7% of the vote, while Joy secured 36.3%.

Olivia Orr and Jack Gonzalez, a European Studies student from the United States, were elected Ents Officer and International Officer respectively. Both were unopposed.

Fergal Mooney, a BESS student from Downpatrick in Co Down, was elected Sports Officer. Mooney received 79.6% of the vote while Eli O’Neill received 17.6%.

Edward Moss, a Geography and Geoscience student, beat out Patrick Kay, a History student, to be elected Music Officer. Moss received 76.1% of the vote and Kay 23.3%. Both are from Donegal.

Additionally, Lucy Bruton was appointed Communications & Marketing Officer, Laura Brady as Publications Officer, and Aisling Gallagher as Technical Officer after an application and interview process. Charlie Howard also applied for the Communications position.

233 votes were cast in the election, with the Treasurer contest seeing the highest levels of participation. The election took place online this year, with results announced on a livestream on the JCR Facebook page this evening.

The JCR acts as a representative body for students living in Trinity Hall. It provides services and organises social events, as well as seeking to “represent Halls students’ needs within College, Halls & the Rathmines area”.

This article was updated to correct a typo in the subheadline at 9:43pm. It erroneously said that three of the positions were contested, when the real number was five.

Jack Kennedy

Jack Kennedy is the Editor-in-chief of the 68th edition of Trinity News. He is a Computer & Electronic Engineering graduate, and a former Assistant Editor, Online Editor, and Deputy Online Editor.