TCDSU to hold rally in support of Palestine in Dublin today

Following IPSC’s cancellation of their event, TCDSU is moving forward with their rally at 2pm today

Trinity College Dublin Students Union (TCDSU) BDS Campaign are to hold a rally today at 2pm at the Spire, in support of Palestine. 

The Ireland Palestine Solidarity Campaign (IPSC) cancelled their rally planned for today due to “legal threats from the gardaí that they may fine and prosecute organisers for breach of Covid-19 regulations”, TCDSU confirmed to Trinity News. 

The rally comes following escalated violence in the region in the past week, during which more than a hundred Palestinians have been killed, as well as several Israelis. 

This is the worst conflict in several years to break out between Israel and Palestine, with Israeli air and ground forces carrying out strikes in the Gaza Strip, while Hamas launched rockets into Israel. 

These operations came after weeks of violence on the streets of Jerusalem.

Speaking to Trinity News, a member of the campaign said: “We recognise that the IPSC has had to cancel their protest for fear of legal repercussions, which could seriously harm the organisation and their members.”

They added: “We condemn the Gardaí’s attempt to criminalise a peaceful, socially distanced protest.”

Under current restrictions, outdoor events can only take place with up to 15 people, and people from 3 households can meet outdoors (including in a garden), or 6 people from any number of households.

The member of the campaign continued: “We will be going ahead with our own socially distanced rally, as we feel that a message needs to be sent to the Irish Government that they must take action on the horrific persecution of Palestinians, and we will not stand for their complacency.”

“We also want to send a message to all Palestinians that we stand in solidarity with their struggles and are answering the call of the BDS movement to take collective action against the crimes of Israel,” they concluded. 

The rally is to begin at 2pm at the Spire in Dublin, in support of the people of Palestine.