TCDSU sabbatical team take office today

The six sabbatical officers were elected in March and take up their roles today for a year-long term

The new sabbatical officers of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) take office today. 

TCDSU’s six full time sabbatical officers officially enter their roles today for a year-long term.

Outgoing Welfare and Equality officer Leah Keogh is taking over from outgoing President Eoin Hand.

Outgoing Deputy Stem officer Bev Genockey is taking over from outgoing Education officer Megan O’Connor.

Other officers commencing their roles are Sierra Muller-Owens as Welfare and Equality officer, Aoife Cronin as Communication and Marketing officer and Greg Arrowsmith as Events officer. 

The new editor of the University Times, Emer Moreau, also begins her term today.

Speaking to Trinity News, Keogh said that “as the most unpredictable year imaginable draws to a close, [she is] excited to see what a new one will bring”. 

“Myself and the incoming team have big plans to further enhance the student experience, all demonstrated throughout our campaigns in March”, she continued.

Keogh added that the new team are “eager to get to work and will spend the summertime preparing for September”, which they are “hopeful will consist of less zooms and more connection”. 

“With a new team comes new ideas so watch this space”, she concluded.

Also speaking to Trinity News, Genockey said that she is “very excited for the year ahead”. She said they have “an excellent team this year” and she is “really looking forward to getting to work alongside them”. 

“The Department of Higher Education’s reopening plans which were released this week are a welcome insight into what college will hopefully look like by the time the semester starts”, Genockey continued.

Genockey also said that “a main priority right now and this summer is building on the work of the outgoing sabbat team, to make sure that students are both heard and supported through that process of returning to campus”. 

Mueller-Owens told Trinity News that she is “really looking forward to starting with the new team” and “we all have different strengths but it all comes down to making student life better”.

She is hoping that this year “brings more in person events and campaign weeks” and she is “looking forward to working with all the new and returning students who will be involved in the SU and beyond”.

Speaking to Trinity News, Arrowsmith said he is ”really looking forward to bringing everyone back to in-person events after the year we’ve all had”.

“I’m hoping to break the mould of Ents by running events that appeal to everyone in Trinity, and see the appetite amongst all students for events as an opportunity for that”, he continued. 

Arrowsmith hopes to “provide a year of new and different events”, including “the Pav and Trinity Ball”.

Outgoing Communications and Marketing officer Philly Holmes also spoke to Trinity News. Holmes said he found it “incredibly hard to put into words a year that has taken so much and given back so so little”, but he is “incredibly proud of all of the work [he’s] been able to do this year”.

He highlighted his and TCDSU’s work over the last year: “from HIV Testing, sexual health promotion and getting TCDSU verified on Twitter, to designing over 1,200 graphics for the Union and handling thousands of student enquiries throughout the year.”

“I truly hope that the work I’ve done has had a genuine positive impact on at least a few students, even if I did send an annoying amount of emails”, he continued. 

He also said that he is “proud of [his] team and everyone involved in the union for their incredible work, but most importantly for surviving this incredibly tough year”.

He wished the incoming sabbatical team the best of luck, saying: “the incoming gang are going to have a great time, they’re all so so qualified, and I hope they make the most of when things begin to open up again”.

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.