Students to be requested not to attend campus on day they are not timetabled to

Communication from College requested that students not be on campus on days they do not have classes when Michaelmas term begins

Students are going to be asked not to attend campus if they do not have classes or lectures scheduled that day, an email to students and staff said today. 

Students received an email this morning from Trinity Communications with some details concerning the planned return to campus this coming September.

The email provided a timetable schedule for different events, such as orientation week, the beginning of teaching, study week and the end of term dates. This was split between incoming fresher students and all other students.

The email provided details for students regarding how the return to campus is expected to go ahead. There will be no in-person lectures for groups larger than 150 students, and these will continue to be held online. However, lectures or tutorials for groups under 150 students may be held at individual school’s discretion. 

Students who have not been timetabled into an event on campus will be requested not to attend campus on that particular day. This will be to “overall campus capacity” when students return to campus.

The email ended with details concerning guidance for Freshers’ Week, set to be finalised and issued as soon as the public health guidelines for that particular period has been confirmed by government.

Speaking to Trinity News, a spokesperson for College said “A definite answer is still being developed and will be based on campus capacity.”

No further details were given on how College plans to enforce students accessing campus only when scheduled.

The Central Societies Committee (CSC) has previously announced its intention to lobby College to allow for student entry regardless of timetabling, once the student possesses a student ID card.

The email from College also contained details for the return of staff to campus, vaccination rates and  invitations to participate in the UniCoV project. 

Returning students are expected to return to in-person learning for the first time since March 2020 on September 13, with orientation expected to begin on September 6. Incoming first year students are expected to start their Freshers’ Week on September 20.

Jamie Cox

Jamie Cox is current News Analysis Editor for Trinity News and previously served as Higher Education Correspondent. He is a Junior Sophister Ancient and Medieval History and Culture student.