Graduations in November and December to operate at 100% capacity

Commencements will also be held in 2022 for students who “will be able to cover many if not all students who graduated online but are due an in-person celebration of this with family and friends”.

Trinity commencements in November and December to operate at 100% capacity.

Also, in October commencements will be held with social distancing subject to public health guidelines. 

These commencements will facilitate both students who have just completed their studies and those whose graduations were not marked during the pandemic.

They are to take place in the public theatre. 

College have said that the commencements in November and December will operate at 100% capacity for both “students who completed in the last academic year and who would be due to graduate during this session as well as all students who had deferred their graduations”.

Registrar Professor Neville Cox said that ”the holding of additional ceremonies generates a significant amount of work for many people”. 

He wants to “thank the staff in Academic Registry, as well as those working for College Security, Estates and Facilities, Trinity Communications, Trinity Development and Alumni and so on, for being so generous with their time and efforts in making these events a possibility”.

“Commencements are such joyful occasions – and hopefully all the events that we hold in these sessions can be beacons of hope and joy for the whole college community.”

In August, Trinity became the first Higher Education Institution (HEI) to resume in person graduations. Over several days, groups of 60 students attended their graduation ceremonies in a marquee outdoors to keep within public health guidelines. 

Each event was permitted a total of 120 guests, with every guest required to provide proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test. 

A total of almost 1,000 students, who would normally have graduated in 2020, were due to attend these small-scale ceremonies between August 11 and August 20.

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.