Provost to award Climate Action fund to support a student or staff-led climate action project or initiative

The Provost will offer up to €5,000 to fund the best climate action project or initiative proposed by a student or member of staff in order to raise awareness of UN COP26

Provost to award Climate Action fund to support a student or staff-led climate action project or initiative.

Provost Linda Doyle has announced that she will offer funding of up to €5,000 for the best climate action themed project or initiative proposed by a student or member of staff. 

The funding will help promote awareness of the 26th United Nations climate change summit, ‘Conference of Parties’ (COP), which will take place in Scotland from October 31 to November 12.

Students and staff can submit their project or initiative on the Climate Action Fund’s online applications page. The closing date for applications is October 8.

In an email to students and staff today, the Provost said applications will undergo a selection process, with the best ones to be put forward for students and staff to vote on online from October 25 to 29. 

Funding will be given to the winner on November 1.

Further details on application guidelines can be found on the Climate Action Fund’s  online page.

Since 2018, College has conducted 20 voting campaigns as part of its engagement strategy concerning sustainability. 

In 2020, College launched a public vote on whether the front lawn at College Green should be replanted with wildflowers. The vote subsequently passed.

Projects previously funded by the Provost’s sustainability fund include the planting of a vegetable garden at Trinity Hall, a free loan scheme for crockery for student societies created by the Environmental Society (EnviroSoc), and the launch of an environmental magazine aimed to educate students about climate action, biodiversity and sustainability goals.

Rebecca Deasy-Millar

Rebecca Deasy-Millar is a Staff Writer for Trinity News, and a Junior Sophister English Literature and French student.