TCDSU and Trinity Ents announces plans for Senior Freshers’ week

From September 6 to 10 there will be several in-person outdoor and online events

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) and Trinity Ents have organised an orientation week for Senior Fresh students from September 6 to 10. 

TCDSU has organised the orientation week exclusively for Senior Freshers after their freshers week last September was entirely online because of Covid-19 restrictions.

The Students’ Union is also to hold an orientation week for incoming 1st year students on September 20 to 25.

The Senior Freshers’ week timetable “will include a number of in-person events, as well as some hybrid online events”, according to TCDSU Communications and Marketing Officer Aoife Cronin.

TCDSU will hold an orientation fair (freshers fair) in Front Square on Monday 6 and Tuesday 7 September. 

At the fair, students will be offered TCDSU Welcome Packages, are able to sign up to be a class representative and have the opportunity to talk with the SU sabbatical officers. 

Trinity Ents have planned “a full programme of day and nighttime events”, which will be held at the temporary Pavilion bar marquee (the Pav), outdoor spaces on campus, or off-campus locations. 

Last week, Provost Linda Doyle announced Trinity’s plans for a two-phase return to campus, which differs from the approach of other Irish universities.

College is to open on September 6 with a “more cautious” approach. These regulations are to last up to and including Reading Week.

From November 1, College intends to “relax regulations further to allow for many more in-person campus experiences”. 

In the announcement, Doyle said “indoor events are not allowed”. While outdoor social events can take place, all social activities held at the Pav marquee are limited to a maximum of 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Speaking to Trinity News, TCDSU Ents Officer Greg Arrowsmith said that he is “delighted” to announce the SU’s programme of events for Senior Freshers week following months of preparation.

“We [TCDSU] think that we’ve managed to put together a week that will be fun, safe and memorable for second years, who deserve no less.”

He continued: “We’re hopeful that there is an event for everyone to enjoy, and can’t wait to see everyone next week!”

The events will be organised by TCDSU and Trinity Ents in conjunction with various Dublin University (DU) student clubs and societies. 

On Monday 6 September TCDSU plan to hold the freshers’ fair, yoga organised with the Yoga Society, and a gig in conjunction with Trinity Arts Festival (TAF). A pub crawl organised with DU Snowsports will be held off-campus and an evening movie screening will be hosted by the DU Film Society.

Tuesday 7 September includes the SU fair again, a “special guest speaker” event held with the Law Society (LawSoc), and a gig organised with DU Music. An evening movie screening will be hosted with the Trinity Surf club, and musical bingo will take place at the Pav marquee with DU Players.

Wednesday 8 September involves a treasure hunt organised by The Historical Society (The Hist), Vincent de Paul (VDP) and TAF. At the Pav marquee, there will be a panel debate on housing hosted by The Hist. There will also be a themed quiz held online. 

Thursday 9 September entails a second scavenger hunt organised with The Philosophical Society (The Phil) and the Cancer Society, and a petting zoo with the Zoological Society (ZooSoc). During the evening, there will be an off-campus pub crawl organised with LawSoc and the Food and Drink society, and a “Gaeltacht” at the Pav marquee hosted in collaboration with Cumann Gaeleach and Trad Soc. 

Friday 10 September involves a spike ball tournament organised with Roundnet Ireland and an evening DJ set at the Pav with the Digital Arts Society (DUDJ).

Bella Salerno

Bella Salerno is currently a Deputy News Editor of Trinity News. She is a Senior Fresh Middle Eastern, Jewish and Islamic Civilisations and French student.