3,335 students avail of pop up vaccination centres across campuses

Minister Harris has announced high uptake of students availing of vaccinations, and further mental health funding for colleges and students

This afternoon, the Minister for Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science, Simon Harris, revealed that 3,335 students have availed of vaccinations at over 30 HSE clinics across the country. 

In a video posted on his personal Twitter account, Harris said that he is “delighted” with the number of students who availed of the vaccinations during ‘College Vaccination Week’.

“There was clearly a real benefit in having this vaccination week and also such great uptakes, which is a very encouraging sign” he continued.

According to Harris, there will be another ‘Vaccination Week’ on college campuses for students who require a second dose.

On the subject of in-person teaching, Harris said that he is “delighted that colleges are now open” and that “more people now than ever before are getting places in Irish colleges.”

The Minister also stated that new information regarding the Student Assistance Fund [SAF] and mental health funding for students will be announced next week.

“[SAF] is a fund that can help students who fall on hard times”: Harris said.

“It’s so important as people try to get back to some degree of normality after Covid that we recognise that it’s been a tough year and provide more funding for mental health”: he continued.

Yesterday, Trinity News revealed that over 200 staff and students were vaccinated on campus last week.

On Monday 27 and Wednesday 29 September, a HSE pop up vaccination centre operated on a walk-in basis for all students and staff on Trinity’s main campus.

Offering first or second doses, students and staff wishing to avail of the clinic did not require appointments. The vaccination clinic took place in the New Square Marquee, and was open from 8:30am to 8pm on both days.

The vaccination clinic at Trinity was one of 11 pop up centres established in colleges across Ireland last week as part of “Vaccination Week”. In Dublin, temporary clinics also operated at Dublin City University (DCU), Royal College of Surgeons Ireland (RCSI) and National College of Art and Design (NCAD). 

Speaking to Trinity News, a spokesperson for College said that “more than 200 were vaccinated” through the centre at Trinity across the two days.

Director of College Health Service, Dr David McGrath encouraged students and staff to participate in the vaccination programme “to make our campus as safe as possible”, adding: “It will be especially beneficial to our international students who may not have had a recognised vaccination in Ireland.”

Current figures show over 89% of people in Ireland above the age of 12 have been fully vaccinated.

Bella Salerno

Bella Salerno is currently a Deputy News Editor of Trinity News. She is a Senior Fresh Middle Eastern, Jewish and Islamic Civilisations and French student.