5,879 vaccines administered at college vaccination centres across two vaccination weeks

Around 500 people were vaccinated at Trinity’s pop up clinic last Wednesday

A total of 5,879 vaccinations have been administered from clinics at third level colleges since September. 

Last week, HSE pop up vaccination centres were set up on college campuses for the second time this term, during an another “College Vaccination Week”.

Between October 18 and 22, temporary vaccination clinics returned to 12 higher education sites across Ireland, including Trinity. The centres operated on a walk-in basis for students and staff. 

This was after Minister for Further and Higher Education, Innovation and Research Simon Harris announced the second “Vaccination Week”. 

Harris said that the clinics were returning “to ensure those who received their first dose can access their second”, adding: “These sites will be open for people to receive their first dose too.” 

During the initial Vaccination Week, pop up centres were set across 15 higher education sites from September 27. At this time, over 3000 people received a vaccine, and 53% of these were first doses. 

A centre operated from Trinity’s main campus on Monday 27 and Wednesday 29 September. Trinity News reported that over 200 students and staff received first or second doses at College across these two days. 

The HSE vaccine clinic returned to New Square Marquee on Wednesday last week, where approximately 500 people were vaccinated between 8.30am and 6pm. 

Speaking to Trinity News, a spokesperson for College confirmed the figures, adding that it was “a very busy day [with] queues from the opening”. 

The walk-in clinic at Trinity was also open to students from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI), National College of Art and Design (NCAD), Royal Irish Academy of Music, Marino Institute of Education, and Griffith College. 

Across the 12 higher education vaccine centres set up last week, a further 2,544 people were vaccinated. 

Minister Harris announced the figures today, saying that “almost half of these were first doses”. 

He explained: “[This] shows the importance of the ongoing college vaccination campaign and its positive impact.” 

“This figure is in addition to the 3,335 vaccines administered in the first college vaccination week held earlier this month.”

“Thank you to everyone involved in this & to all students coming forward to get their vaccine”, he added. 

Sarah Emerson

Sarah Emerson is currently a Deputy News Editor of Trinity News. She is a Senior Sophister English Literature and Jewish and Islamic Civilizations Student.