College backs Christmas campaign in support of the Simon Community

Trinity joins Larkin Community College and Localise National Youth Volunteers to support people experiencing homelessness

College has partnered with Localise National Youth Volunteers to support Larkin Community College in their Christmas campaign for the Dublin Simon Community. 

The campaign is run by second year students at Larkin Community College, to source gifts and essentials for residents of Dublin Simon Community’s four homeless facilities in the north inner city: Sean McDermott Street, Maple Apartment, Dorset Street and The Boroughs. 

The Simon Community provides housing, addiction treatment and emergency responses for people experiencing homelessness. 

This is the fifth year that Trinity has supported the initiative. 

In an email to students and staff Associate Dean of Civic Engagement and Social Innovation Dr Jo-Hanna Ivers called for donations. 

Dublin Simon Community has provided a wish-list of residents and their children. Supporters of the Christmas Campaign are encouraged to purchase a gift voucher from one of the stores listed, and donate it in a personalised Christmas Card. 

Vouchers should be posted by December 13, to: Localise/Trinity Appeal, The Talent Garden, Claremount Avenue, Glasnevin, Dublin, D11 KXN4, by Monday 13 December. 

Ivers said: “Many of the residents [of Dublin Simon Community] have been homeless for long periods and don’t have the capacity to live on their own right now – a gift at Christmas would mean a lot.”

“This is an opportunity for students and staff in College to give back and support people working to help themselves and each other.”