Construction at Fellows’ Square to last until Friday November 5

Works began Thursday October 21 as part of the Old Library’s redevelopment project

Construction at Fellows’ Square will last until this Friday, November 5. 

The works begun Thursday, October 21 as part of the Old Library’s redevelopment project.

In an email to all students and staff on October 19 headed ‘Site Investigations in Fellows’ Square’, College informed all of “conservation works” as part of the Old Library’s redevelopment project.

The email read: “Site investigations, which will involve drilling a test bore hole, will be taking place in Fellows’ Square from [Thursday October 21 to Friday November 5] (8am-6pm Monday to Friday).”

It continued to say that “every effort will be made to minimise noise” since “acoustic baffles” have been placed around the bore hole rig.

The works involve the installation of a geo-thermal solution in order to hear the Old Library by extracting heat from the ground below Fellows’ Square. 

According to College, the works are “a key step” in refurbishing the Old Library and “supports [College’s] objectives in sustainable development”. 

In May of this year, government announced €25 million in funding for the library’s redevelopment.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin said that the Old Library is “one of Ireland’s foremost heritage sites and a jewel in the nation’s crown” and hopes that this funding will help to safeguard “our heritage for generations to come”. 

Former Provost Patrick Prendergast commented that he is “delighted that government is supporting the Old Library’s conservation and redevelopment plans”. He also said the Redevelopment Project is “essential in order for this national heritage building to continue in its unique dual role as a world-class library and a national cultural institution that is an international visitor destination”.

Trinity received planning permission from Dublin City Council for the Old Library Redevelopment Project last autumn. The redevelopment is led by architects Heneghan Peng, who previously worked to conserve and redevelop the National Gallery of Ireland.

The Redevelopment Project also includes the “development of a new state-of-the art Research Collections Study Centre” and “one-of-a-kind immersive exhibition”.  

Bella Salerno

Bella Salerno is currently a Deputy News Editor of Trinity News. She is a Senior Fresh Middle Eastern, Jewish and Islamic Civilisations and French student.