Book of Kells to move to Printing House instead of College Park

TCDSU, the GSU and DUCAC had objected to previous plans

The Book of Kells is to be housed in the Printing House during renovation of the Old Library, College has announced.

Previously, the plan had been to construct a temporary exhibition space on College Park, which would have restricted use of the space for sporting activities.

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU), Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) and Dublin University Central Athletics Committee (DUCAC) opposed that plan.

The Printing House exhibition space is to be completed in 2023, in time for the beginning of the Old Library redevelopment works. A separate exhibition space will also be constructed on New Square.

College has said the exhibition will be “an exciting, immersive and unique experience combining history with modern day technology.”

Provost Linda Doyle said that the decision had been reached after “a process of careful consultation across College.”

“I want to thank those involved for their engagement,” Doyle said.

Helen Shenton, Librarian and College Archivist, added: “Conserving and renewing the Old Library, a renowned centre of research used by students, researchers and international scholars, is a complex and important challenge.”

“The project will be transformative in protecting this national treasure and will ensure the preservation of the building and collections for generations to come.”

College noted in its announcement that the Printing House renovation was subject to securing planning permission, and said it would be inviting tenders for the project soon.

The Printing House, located on the northern end of campus opposite Pearse Street Garda Station, was previously part of the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. The building dates to 1734 and is built in the neoclassical style.

It has been undergoing construction works for some years now as part of the Printing House Square development, and since last year the building has housed the Disability Service.

Jack Kennedy

Jack Kennedy is the Editor-in-chief of the 68th edition of Trinity News. He is a Computer & Electronic Engineering graduate, and a former Assistant Editor, Online Editor, and Deputy Online Editor.