College events and restaurants to return to pre-Covid rules

Face masks are no longer mandatory at indoor or outdoor events

Rules governing College and society events are to return to their pre-Covid status. All College level restrictions on social events have been lifted.

On January 22, almost all remaining public health restrictions were lifted by the government.

In an email to students and staff this afternoon College said “approval for both outdoor and indoor non-academic events has returned to pre-Covid-19 procedures, requiring only the approval of the Junior Dean/Trinity Hall Warden”.

The wearing of face masks will also no longer be required. The email noted that although “face coverings will continue to be required in all teaching and learning spaces, including lectures and labs, indoor buildings, the Library, and in shared office spaces”, “face masks are not required at indoor and outdoor events”.

Trinity catering staff will “continue to wear masks in Trinity dining facilities and The Pavilion Bar”. However, “in line with government guidelines, customers are not required to wear them but are encouraged to do so”.

The email went on to say that “In Trinity Hall and accommodation on the main campus, wearing of face masks in stairwells, lifts or when visiting reception continues to be recommended, staff will continue to wear masks and perspex screens will remain in place”.

Also, student spaces “such as Zón Mac Léinn, will re-open after checks to ensure they meet normal health and safety requirements” and “face masks are not required to be worn in these spaces”.

At a national level, face masks are still required on public transport, in shops, in customer facing roles where food and drink is sold, and in healthcare settings.

The email also informed students that “the Buttery, Forum, Dining Hall and The 1592 [restaurant] can now operate at full capacity and events can take place past 8pm” and “vaccine certificates and ID are no longer required”.

In line with national guidelines “tables do not need to be 2m apart and can accommodate more than 6 people” and “Buttery customers can be served directly from the hot food counter”.

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.