Law professor charged with murder

Following an altercation on Tuesday which resulted in his arrest, Dr Diarmuid Rossa has been charged with murder 

Trinity associate professor Dr Diarmuid Rossa Phelan has been charged with murder this morning, the Irish Independent has reported

Phelan has been charged following an altercation which occurred in Tallaght on Tuesday evening, where 36 year-old local man Keith Conlon was fatally shot. 

Phelan is a Fellow of Trinity and a member of the College Board. The Irish Independent had previously reported that a “well-known legal professional” had been arrested in connection with the incident. The Irish Independent confirmed this morning that Phelan has been charged with murder. 

An altercation occurred on farmland near Tallaght village on Tuesday, in which Keith Conlon was shot in the head. Conlon was admitted to hospital, and has since passed away.

Phelan is also a fellow of the European Law Institute. He is currently an associate professor of law.

College has declined to comment. 

Yesterday, the head of the School of Law, Dr Caoimhín Mac Maolain, emailed students in the school pertaining to “an allegation against a member of staff”. 

While the email stated they “cannot comment on an ongoing investigation”, they urged students to reach out to Student Counselling Services should they require support. 

“The welfare of students and staff is our foremost concern,” the email added. 

If you have been affected by the issues discussed in this article, the following supports are available:

TCDSU Welfare Officer – [email protected]

Student Counselling Service – [email protected]

Niteline (9pm-2:30am) – niteline.ie / 1800 793 793

Crisis Text Line – 50808