Student dies in incident in Library

TCDSU sabbatical election campaigning has been suspended as a mark of respect

A student died in an incident in Trinity’s Ussher Library last night.

The body of the student, who has not been publicly named, was found at approximately 8:50pm.

In a statement, Gardaí said: “Pearse Street Gardaí and emergency services attended the scene of an incident at a library in Trinity College Dublin that occurred yesterday evening.”

“A male was discovered deceased and Gardaí are investigating all the circumstances surrounding his death.”

“A post mortem will be conducted in due course and the results of same will determine the course of the investigation,” the statement concluded.

The Irish Mirror reported that investigators “believe there was no suspicious element” to the student’s death.

In-person campaigning for Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) sabbatical elections has been suspended for today and tomorrow, the Electoral Commission (EC) announced. The EC has also asked candidates not to campaign online today.

Media Hustings, which was due to take place this evening, will not now be going ahead.

If you have been affected by the issues discussed in this article, the following supports are available:

TCDSU Welfare Officer – [email protected]

Student Counselling Service – [email protected]

Niteline (9pm-2:30am) – niteline.ie / 1800 793 793

Crisis Text Line – 50808

Jack Kennedy

Jack Kennedy is the Editor-in-chief of the 68th edition of Trinity News. He is a Computer & Electronic Engineering graduate, and a former Assistant Editor, Online Editor, and Deputy Online Editor.