Three candidates to contest UT Editor election

The position will be contested by Mairead Maguire, Neal Manning and Ailbhe Noonan

Three candidates are to contest the University Times (UT) editor election for the 2022/23 Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) sabbatical team. 

The students running for the position are Mairead Maguire, Neal Manning and Ailbhe Noonan. This is the second time that the election will be run after students initially voted to re-open nominations (RON). 

Incumbent UT deputy editor Mairead Maguire was the sole candidate in the first run, receiving 40.6% of the vote. RON received 59.4% of the vote.

This year’s election marked the first time a deputy editor has not been elected to the position of UT editor since the role became a sabbatical officership, as well as the first time TCDSU voters have voted to re-open nominations for a sabbatical position since that ballot option was added to all elections approximately 20 years ago.

An active campaign calling for a RON vote in the election was set up at the beginning of the original campaign period earlier this month. This followed the publication of an article by Trinity News, in which students previously interviewed by Maguire for an article about harassment and assault in College societies alleged that confidential elements of their testimony had been leaked.

Ailbhe Noonan is a junior sophister English student and is currently the Deputy Radius Officer for UT. She is also chair of the Robinson committee in the Historical Society (The Hist). 

The election is due to take place between April 4 and 7. 

Handover from the current sabbatical team to the 2022/23 officers takes place during the summer.

A disclaimer on these series on pieces can be found here.

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.