UT editor election scheduled for April 4 to 7

Nominations close on March 21

A re-run of the University Times (UT) editor election will run from April 4 to 7, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) has announced.

Nominations for the position are currently open, and will close at 9am next Monday, March 21. The election was announced in the weekly TCDSU email yesterday evening (March 13).

Voters chose to re-open nominations in the first running of the election earlier this month, with the ballot option defeating incumbent Deputy Editor Mairead Maguire by 59.4% to 40.6%.

Gabi Fullam was elected TCDSU president, Zöe Cummins as education officer, Chloe Staunton as welfare & equality officer, Julie Smirnova as communications & marketing officer and Max Lynch as entertainments officer.

This year’s election marked the first time a deputy editor has not been elected to the position of UT editor since the role became a sabbatical officership, as well as the first time TCDSU voters have voted to re-open nominations since the ballot option was added to all elections approximately 20 years ago.

Handover from the current sabbatical team to the 2022/23 officers takes place during the summer.

Jack Kennedy

Jack Kennedy is the Editor-in-chief of the 68th edition of Trinity News. He is a Computer & Electronic Engineering graduate, and a former Assistant Editor, Online Editor, and Deputy Online Editor.