Zöe Cummins elected TCDSU education officer

The incumbent STEM convenor received 89.5% percent of the vote

STEM Convenor Zöe Cummins has been elected as the 2022/23 education officer of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU).

Running unopposed for the position, Cummins was elected with 89.5% of the vote. Re-open nominations received the remaining 10.5%. There were 1366 total valid votes.

She will take over the position from incumbent Bev Genockey in June.

Cummins ran on a platform of dealing with “not so sexy issues” students face in academia. Among other things, she pledged to lobby College to allow students to retake individual modules without repeating entire years, to increase the availability of online academic material, and to reform the Foundation Scholarship examinations.

In last week’s Trinity News poll, Cummins was supported by more than 90% of decided voters.

Voting took place online from Tuesday (March 1) until this afternoon.

A previous version of this article misspelled Education Officer Bev Genockey’s name, due to a typo. Trinity News apologises for the error

Jack Kennedy

Jack Kennedy is the Editor-in-chief of the 68th edition of Trinity News. He is a Computer & Electronic Engineering graduate, and a former Assistant Editor, Online Editor, and Deputy Online Editor.