CSC’s rescheduled AGM appears to breach constitution

The original AGM, scheduled for last Tuesday, could not be held as it did not reach quorum

The rescheduled AGM of the Central Societies Committee (CSC), scheduled for 6pm this evening, appears to violate the organisation’s own constitution.

Notice of the meeting was sent to the treasurers of all Trinity societies via email last Wednesday, March 30.

The CSC constitution stipulates that “notice of all general meetings shall be sent to all members at least 14 days in advance.”

The original AGM was scheduled for Tuesday March 29, but could not be run as a quorate number of society representatives were not present. Among the agenda items was the election of a new executive committee for the 2022/23 academic year.

The March 30 email began: “Many thanks to those of you who attended last night, but unfortunately there weren’t enough of you!  Because the meeting was inquorate, we will have to reconvene.”

After giving details of the rescheduled meeting, the email continued in all capitals: “It is vital that you or your proxy attend this meeting or we will not be in a position to elect a committee for the coming year.”

Another email was circulated on Friday, April 1, which discussed the rescheduled CSC AGM and gave advice to societies on running their own AGMs. It read: “Please ensure that sufficient notice is communicated to all members, as per your constitution.”

Trinity News has contacted the CSC executive for comment.

Jack Kennedy

Jack Kennedy is the Editor-in-chief of the 68th edition of Trinity News. He is a Computer & Electronic Engineering graduate, and a former Assistant Editor, Online Editor, and Deputy Online Editor.