Shannon Connolly elected editor of Trinity News

The paper’s current deputy editor will begin her tenure on May 1.

Shannon Connolly has been unanimously elected editor of Trinity News for the 2022/23 academic year at the paper’s AGM this evening.

Connolly, a Junior Sophister English and Philosophy student, has previously served as assistant news editor, news editor, and deputy editor in the paper. She was also Alumni Officer of Trinity Publications in 2020/21.

Connolly will serve as the editor of the 69th volume of Trinity News. The race for editor was uncontested.

The vote to elect the next editor was done by a ballot of current editorial staff at a hybrid AGM, the first in three years to be held in-person due to the pandemic.

Connolly’s tenure is expected to begin on May 1.

Connolly’s plans for the paper include the addition of a global section, featuring articles in languages other than English and Irish, the creation of a social media manager, and a sex-themed issue of Trinity News in homage to its 69th edition.

Connolly also pledged to continue the paper’s boycott of the Irish Times, saying that “it’s incredibly important that we support all students.”

Speaking to Trinity News following her election, Connolly said: “I’m extremely honoured and delighted to be elected Editor of the 69th Issue of Trinity News. I’m so proud of all the work that we have accomplished this year, and I can’t wait to take over the incredible mantle that Jack has left.”

Current TN Editor Jack Kennedy congratulated Connolly on her election: “I am delighted for Shannon and would like to congratulate her. It’s been a delight to work alongside her for the past three years, particularly as my wonderful deputy this year.”

He continued: “I have every confidence in her ability to continue TN’s important work. I think she has the experience and the vision necessary to bring the paper to new heights. I think the future is bright for Trinity News.”