Trinity Professor appointed president of Ireland’s newest technological university

Professor Veronica Campbell will take up the role at the South East Technological University on May 1

A professor of Trinity’s Department of Physiology has been appointed as the first president of the South East Technological University (SETU).

Professor Veronica Campbell, who has previously held several senior roles in Trinity, will take up the role on Sunday, May 1, following the university’s formal establishment.

A graduate of the University of Edinburgh, Campbell earned her PhD from the University of London in 1995. She has worked in higher education for 25 years, having been appointed to the Department of Physiology in Trinity in 1998.

In Trinity, Campbell has served as Director of Strategic Innovation and Dean of Graduate Studies, as well as having been a member of the Board and College’s finance committee.

In a statement yesterday confirming Campbell’s appointment, Minister of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science, Simon Harris said: “I wish to congratulate Professor Campbell on this appointment. She will lead the TU  on this journey. Veronica has a distinguished career of academia, strategic investment and innovation.”

He continued: “”I wish her all the best in this role. SETU is of vital importance for the country.”

SETU is Ireland’s newest multi-campus technological university (TU), an amalgamation of two former institutes of technology (IT), Waterford IT and IT Carlow.

The establishment of technological universities around the country is an initiative of the Higher Education Authority (HEA) as set out by the National Strategy for Higher Education to 2030. SETU is the fifth technological university to be established since the Technological University of Dublin was formed in 2019.

Campbell’s appointment makes her the third female president of a technological university, as well as one of six female university presidents in Ireland. In 2019, there were no female presidents in Irish universities.

In February, former Trinity Provost Patrick Prendergast was named inaugural chair of SETU.

David Wolfe

David Wolfe is a Junior Sophister student of History and Political Science. He is the current Social Media and Managing Editor of Trinity News, having previously served as News Editor, Assistant News Editor and copyeditor.