Cricketer Leah Paul named Sport Person of the Year at Trinity Sports Awards

Student athletes and clubs were acknowledged at an awards ceremony at the Aviva Stadium

Cricketer Leah Paul was last night named Sport Person of the Year at the Trinity Sports Awards 2022. The ceremony was the first to be held in person since 2019.

Thirteen awards, as well as the University Pinks, were awarded to individuals and clubs at a ceremony presented by sport broadcaster Máire Treasa Ní Cheallaigh at the Aviva Stadium.

Paul, 22, plays for Cricket Ireland women’s senior team and was awarded a sports scholarship in November 2021. This season, she hit a career-best 95 in a match against Zimbabwe, in which the Ireland women’s team registered its second highest ever team total.

The Team of the Year award went to Trinity GAA Fresher’s Football team, who this year won the Rory O’Connor Electric Ireland freshers’ football division two championship with a 14-point win over IT Carlow.

The Dublin University Harriers and Athletes (DUHAC) women’s team were awarded Performance of the Year in recognition of their achievement at the IUAA Cross Country Championship, which the team won for the third year in a row. 

Trinity Volleyball Club were awarded Club of the Year, while Club Administrator of the Year went to Ciara Black of Trinity Women’s Rugby.

Patrick McBean of Trinity Badminton Club was named Game Changer of the Year, and Larissa Muldoon of Trinity Women’s Rugby won the award for Coach of the Year.

Awards for Volunteer of the Year, Alumni of the Year Winner, Trinity Sport Member of The Year went to Connor Hennessy, John Boyd, and Sean Casey respectively, while among clubs, DUHAC were recognised with the Inclusive Club Award, and Dublin University Boat Club won Social Media Campaign of the Year. Hockey Men were the winners of the Impact Award.

Speaking at the awards ceremony, Michelle Tanner, Head of Sport and Recreation at Trinity commended the endurance of the sporting community throughout the pandemic: “The Trinity Sport community has shown tremendous resilience, talent and creativity over the last two years and we are honoured to be able to celebrate the extraordinary people involved, and the commitment and achievements of our sports clubs and community in person this evening.”

Congratulating the nominees, Tanner continued: “We have seen a shift and heightened awareness of the importance of our physical health, and I believe even more now; we all appreciate the true value that sport offers our community.”

In addition, six students were awarded the University Pinks. The Pinks are awarded annually to student athletes who have shown outstanding individual merit. This year’s recipients were Jack Dunne, Thomas Clarkson, Liam Turner, Shane Keane, Luis Faria, Claire Rafter.