NCBI launches the Gerard Byrne Bursary for vision impaired students

The bursary will offer €1,500 to two undergraduate students with sight loss

National Council for the Blind of Ireland (NCBI) is encouraging any current or incoming third-level student who is blind or vision impaired to apply for the Gerard Byrne Bursary to help with the financial costs of college life.

The value of each scholarship is €1,500 a year and is available to two undergraduate students who are studying on a full-time basis at a recognised educational institution in the Republic of Ireland.

June Tinsley, Head of Communications and Advocacy at NCBI, said: “Unfortunately, the number of third-level students who are blind or vision impaired remains very low.”

“We want to remedy this, and our Bursary is one way as it will assist with the costs of attending college. We also offer Bookshare which provides all their books and resources in digital accessible formats.”

“With only 24% of people who are blind or vision impaired in employment, it is imperative that barriers to further education are removed to create a level playing field when transitioning into employment.”

NCBI is the national sight loss organisation and offers rehabilitation, practical and emotional support and other training designed to help people with sight loss live independently.

Students can apply for the Gerard Byrne Bursary here. The deadline for applications is August 12.