Fear of winter powercuts prompts college to provide battery-powered lamps

The Accommodation Office cited media reports that electricity suppliers have advised of the possibility of power outages this winter

In an email sent out to students living on campus today, the Accommodation Office said that they had purchased a battery-powered lamp for each individual resident.

Citing media reports that electricity suppliers have advised of the possibility of power outages this winter, the Accommodation Office said: “For your safety, the university has purchased a battery-powered lamp for each individual resident.”

“Your lamp will be supplied with batteries however, it is your responsibility to check your lamp regularly and purchase your own replacement batteries,” the email continued. 

This comes after experts have warned of possible power outages this winter and insisted on the need to cut down electricity use during peak times. Two Eirgrid system alerts were also issued last month.

Environment Minister Eamonn Ryan has insisted that he does not expect power outages this winter, instead warning that the real challenge this winter will be energy costs. 

It is expected that an extra electricity credit will be given to households this winter in budget 2023 in order to alleviate some of the burden.