Four senior staff members sacked by UT Editor

The editor informed senior members of staff that they would “no longer be working” at UT following their call for her impeachment

Four senior members of staff of the University Times (UT) have been fired, Trinity News can confirm.

Senior Staff speaking to Trinity News this evening confirmed they had been sacked, following the leaking of a letter calling for their editors resignation on Saturday.

The deputy editor, two assistant editors, and editor of UT’s culture supplement Radius were informed by email from the editor that they would be let go from their positions this evening.

The email, which was seen by Trinity News, laying off staff said that the staff members will “no longer be working in [their] capacity” at UT.

“The actions taken in the past week from the time of the meeting on Wednesday until the publication of the letter on Saturday have clearly shown a breakdown of trust and professionalism that cannot be repaired,” the email continued.

“Thus, it is in both of our best interests that we do not continue working together.”

A letter calling for the resignation of the editor of UT was sent to the editor on Friday evening, and was leaked on Twitter on Saturday. The letter alleged that the editorship under the current editor was “untenable”. The editor today addressed these allegations in a statement to Trinity News, and said the information was “generally misrepresented to the point of deception”.

The dismissal email concluded: “I appreciate all your hard work in getting the first two editions to print, and wish you all the best in your studies and career.”

Speaking to Trinity News about staff being let go, the UT Editor said: “I can confirm that the four individuals have been fired.”

“I did not want it to come to this, but in light of the deceptive nature of their letter, outlined in my previous statement, their consistent refusal to engage with me in meetings, and their categorical refusal of mediation not once but twice, they proved to me that we could not develop any form of professional relationship or trust with either myself or with the paper,” the statement continued. “This was the only option.”

Earlier this afternoon, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) released a statement saying that the Editor of UT is not a sabbatical officer of the union, and therefore cannot be impeached under the present constitution.

The University Times is funded in its entirety by TCDSU and its editor is elected alongside sabbatical officers of the union, coordinated by the Electoral Commision (EC).

This article was updated at 10:12pm to include a statement for the UT Editor.