Traffic to be phased out on College Green from next year

The move is part of a three-year plan to reduce traffic in Dublin City Centre

Traffic is to be phased out on College Green from next year, the Business Post has reported.

Car lanes are to be phased out from next year on College Green as part of wider plans to remove traffic from Dublin City Centre over the next three years.

Two car lanes will be removed next year and in 2024 through traffic will be removed.

Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan said: “All these wide one-way multi-lane streets which are designed for as many cars as possible, that is no longer the way to go.”

“Dublin City Council has committed to changing all that, to take the traffic out of the city centre in the way that I said, and to do that within the next three years. That is an example of the type of project we need to do.”

A spokesperson for College welcomed the plans, saying: “We’re learning about College Green plans from the media, like everyone else. In the face of it, it seems exciting and we look forward to providing some input at a later date.”

Plans to introduce a plaza on College Green were first announced in 2015. Bids to design the plaza are due to be sought within the next month.

This comes as the government is due to roll out 30 “pathfinder projects” in various towns, cities and townlands across the country. Local authorities were asked to submit proposals for funding in order to achieve sustainability goals.

Part of the National Sustainable Mobility Policy, eligible projects include walking and cycling initiatives, public transport improvements, and traffic management solutions such as congestion charges.

Ireland has set a target of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 51% by 2030 and aims to become carbon neutral by 2050.

This article was updated at 16.41pm to include comment from College.