Trinity plants trees in Santry as part of Climate Action Week

It is estimated that the potential carbon which could be stored in the 280+ trees would be almost 14,000 tons once they reach maturity

Trinity staff and students gathered yesterday at the Santry Sports ground to plant 280 trees as part of An Taisce’s Climate Action Week.

Universities throughout Ireland are taking part in the week, offering events for staff and students to learn more about the climate crisis and to take part in local actions.

Members of Trinity’s Estates and Facilities team, as well as volunteers such as Provost Linda Doyle, Sustainability Manager Jane Hackett and Trinity College, Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Environmental Officer, Erin O’Dowd, were in attendance at the event.

The trees planted include alder, sycamore, birch, Scots pine, English oak and more. The college emphasised the benefits of planting trees, such as supporting biodiversity, cleaning the air, capturing rainfall and storing carbon as mature trees.

It is estimated that the potential carbon which could be stored in the 280+ trees would be almost 14,000 tons once they reach maturity.

Trinity’s Sustainability Manager Jane Hackett said: “We are coming together to plant these trees to show our commitment as a community to take real, meaningful action not only for our climate crisis, but also to positively affect nature.”