A Unique Take on Disability

Ross Coleman gives us a preview of the new exhibition Unique: A Disabled Perspective run by the Trinity Ability co_op and the TCDSU

On 29th November, doors will be opened to the Trinity Ability co_op and TCDSU’s new exhibition Unique: a Disabled Perspective. This stunning exhibition, housed in the newly opened Printing House Square, features artwork and poetry on the topic of disability, all created by disabled students and staff. 

For most of human history, disabled voices in the arts were marginalised with disabled people rarely being allowed to tell their own story. Representation of disability was always the prerogative of the non-disabled. With Unique, disabled staff and students at Trinity are reclaiming the narrative. As Abigail Settlemier, fourth year Art and Architecture student and member of the Co_op explains: “disabled creators are able to tell their story, within a community where being different by any circumstance is championed.”

“There are multiple themes present in the exhibition: what it’s like to have an invisible disability, how one relates to one’s disability and living in a disabling world that punishes you for not meeting up to its standards.”

There are multiple themes present in the exhibition: what it’s like to have an invisible disability, how one relates to one’s disability and living in a disabling world that punishes you for not meeting up to its standards. This latter theme is explored brilliantly in Elliot Gallogly’s poem Egg Yolk. The story of the poem is relatively simple — the act of cooking an egg — but in the hands of Gallogly, it becomes a scathing critique of non-disabled people’s expectations of disabled people. Similarly, Holly Thompson’s piece Vacant depicts a face that is convulsed by squiggles and lines, unable to speak. The figure has a blank mind. This, according to Thompson, represents the alienation felt by the disabled person living in mainstream society.

“Another notable theme is living with an impairment or a disability. This is the theme of one of the exhibition’s most striking pieces, Conductor by Vivienne Feely.”

Another notable theme is living with an impairment or a disability. This is the theme of one of the exhibition’s most striking pieces, Conductor by Vivienne Feely. This piece depicts a woman struggling with several flowers and plants springing out from under her dress. The end result is chaotic and extremely arresting. According to Feely, this piece represents her experience with ADHD and how she feels like a conductor trying to manage a vast array of different instruments.

A further perspective is represented by Catherine O’Reilly’s piece entitled A Positive Perspective. This illustrates the difference between O’Reilly’s life pre and post diagnosis and shows how disabilities can be better managed with the right support.

This is not the first exhibition run by TCDSU and the Trinity Ability co_op; they have previously put on a similar exhibition, Defining Disability. This year, however, is set to be even better with the display taking place in Printing House Square, the new home of the disAbility Hub. Speaking about the event, Director of the disAbility Hub Declan Trainor commented: “Unique, the disabled art show is challenging us to see disability in new ways, to see and think beyond the obvious. How our disabled students see their disabilities is fascinating. Art activism is the new frontier and the Trinity Ability Co_op is upping the ante here.” Similarly, Rosie Connolly, a member of the Trinity Ability co_op stated: ”We are so excited for the launch of the 2022 Disability Art & Poetry Exhibition. We chose the theme to help bring focus to the perspective of the ever-increasing number of Trinity staff and students with disabilities.”

“Unique: A Disabled Perspective will be officially launching on 29th November by Provost Linda Doyle and disabled playwright and activist Dr Rosaleen McDonagh in the An Mheitheal meeting space in Printing House Square”. 

Unique: A Disabled Perspective will be officially launching on 29th November by Provost Linda Doyle and disabled playwright and activist Dr Rosaleen McDonagh in the An Mheitheal meeting space in Printing House Square. The exhibition will then be open to view from 2-4pm from Wednesday-Friday with promotional material available to listen to on Spotify. It certainly promises to be a very unique experience!

Ross Coleman

Ross Coleman is a staff writer for Trinity News.