TCDSU Council fails to reach quorum

Council will instead be replaced by a town hall discussion meeting, where no motions can be voted on

This evening’s meeting of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Council has failed to reach quorum.

The meeting will instead take the form of a town hall to discuss items on the agenda, but no motions can be voted on.

Motions which were due to be voted on at Council, the third such meeting of the semester, included a boycott of the Qatar FIFA World Cup, the establishment of a Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic advisory group, and challenging fatphobia in College.

One third of members of Council must be in attendance in order to reach quorum under the TCDSU constitution.

Beginning the town hall meeting this evening, Union of Students in Ireland (USI) VP for Academic Affairs Clodagh McGivern made a presentation in which she discussed the newly launched Global Academic Integrity Network, class representative training with the National Student Engagement Programme (NStEP), and upcoming USI campaigns.

This is to be followed by an informal question and answer session from TCDSU sabbatical officers.

Council’s first meeting of the academic year lost quorum after over one hundred people left the meeting.

The second last Council meeting of the last academic year also failed to reach quorum and was replaced by a town hall discussion meeting.

Additional reporting by Aidan Cusack and Ellen Kenny.