Trinity club notes

Find out what your clubs are up to this month

DULBC

The winter season is back in full flow in DULBC (Dublin University Ladies Rowing Club): the Senior squad are training on average 11 times per week a mix of on-the-water sessions, weight training, erging, circuits and cross-training such as running or biking.

The Novice squad are still working hard and learning the fundamentals of rowing with 2-3 sessions per week a combination of on-the-water sessions and erging. The squad is showing lots of potential and the club is hopeful fast crews will emerge.

A new coach has joined the club this season, Sally O’Brien, who is a DULBC alumnus and former Captain for the 2014-15 academic year. She later rowed for Cambridge University, and it is a huge boost to have her back involved in the club and  working alongside lead coach Andrew Coleman, who has been with DULBC since 2006.

Two DULBC Seniors, Sports Scholar Grace Healy and first-year Emma Moloney, recently competed in the Dublin Sculling Ladder. Grace placed as the 2nd overall female, while Emma placed as the 4th overall female and the 1st female junior.

DULBC opened their season at Lagan Head of the River in Belfast on October 29, with entries in the Inter 1x, Novice 4x+, Club 2 4+, Inter 4+, Club 2 8+, Club 1 8+, and Senior 8+ across the morning and afternoon Heads. 

Before term finishes, DULBC will also be competing in Erne 4’s HOR in Enniskillen in November, and the Head of the Shannon in Carrick-on-Shannon in December.

The club held a fundraising backpacking event in Dunnes Cornelscourt on October 27 to subsidise the cost of the upcoming races and training camps. Donations can be made via the GoFundMe available in the bio of @dulbc_rowing on Instagram.

Club social events are also in motion, with DULBC hosting a Freshers’ Week Pub Quiz with DUBC, and the upcoming Halloween Massacre and Boat Ball.

If any current, former or novice rowers or coxswains of Trinity are interested in joining the club, please contact the Instagram page @dulbc_rowing, or email [email protected]

DU ULTIMATE FRISBEE

Training times are: Mondays 7pm to 9pm in the Iveagh Grounds, Tuesdays 8am to 10am in the Sport Hall, Wednesdays 7pm to 9pm in the Iveagh Grounds, Fridays 3pm to 5pm in the Sports Hall, and Saturdays noon to 2pm in Santry.

The upcoming tournaments are Women’s Indoor IV on November 19, Open’s Indoor IV on November 19-20, and Christmas Down Under on December 17-18.

For more information visit the DUUFC Instagram @trinity_ultimate.

DU CAMOGIE

New manager John Curran has taken over, brother of Waterford hurler Patrick Curran.

Training is back, occurring twice a week at the regular times of 7pm on bothMonday and Wednesday, with a complimentary bus leaving Nassau Street at 6pm.

Competing again in the Purcell Cup (Div. 2 of 3rd-level camogie) this year, the team got their League campaign off to a slow start with a significant loss away to SETU Carlow, but rebounded quickly to take a point from a draw against TUS Athlone. They face DCU 2’s in their final League match on November 2nd.

Club social events are well attended, a particular highlight being the annual County Colours night with DU Hurling, Gaelic Football, and Ladies’ Gaelic Football.

Any camogie players who are interested in joining the team should contact [email protected], or contact the Instagram page @tcdgaa referring to your interest in joining the camogie team.

FOOTBALL (Gaelic)

The freshers had a league match against DkIT in the Louth Centre of Excellence in Darver last Thursday. Unfortunately, despite strong performances from full-back Roy Richardson and debutant James McBreen from Cavan, College lost 1-17 to 2-6.

In the Senior football league, College beat the Army Cadets 2-14 to 0-2 in the Iveagh Grounds in Crumlin.

JUNIOR RUGBY

Training will be held at the usual time of 7.20pm at College Park.

The 3’s continued their winning ways against Guinness RFC in the Iveagh Grounds in Crumlin. The full-time score was 38-15.

Elsewhere, the 4’s scheduled match against Monkstown was cancelled, but thankfully a challenge match against Terenure College RFC was organised, which College won 49-32. 

The 3’s will play Blackrock and the 4’s will play Lansdowne FC, both on the 5th of November.

Jane Prendergast

Jane Prendergast is Co-Sports Editor of Trinity News. She is a Junior Sophister student of Law.