Voters can now register online, and 16 and 17 year olds can pre-register

New legislation also includes measures for people with mental health difficulties and those with no address

Voters can now register online, and 16 and 17 year olds can pre-register as part of several new changes to the registration process as part of the Electoral Reform Act 2022.

A pending electors list has been introduced to facilitate pre-registration, meaning they will automatically be added to the register of electors once they turn 18.

People can now register and update their details through checktheregister.ie by adding their eircode, date of birth and Personal Public Services Number (PPSN).

People could previously only update their details in November or via the supplemental register, which required a visit to a Garda station.

A paper form of registration will remain in place for those who wish to use it, using a PPSN or an in-person check at the local Garda station.

Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage Darragh O’Brien and Minister of State for Heritage and Electoral Reform, Malcolm Noonan have encouraged the public to confirm and update their details on the newly upgraded checktheregister.ie.

Commenting on the first phase of the commencement of the Act, O’Brien said that it would help to “ensure that our democracy is supported by robust electoral structures including a more accurate electoral register”.

The Act provides for the establishment of an independent Electoral Commission – An Coimisiún Toghcháin, and the regulation of online political advertising.

Existing flexible voting arrangements are being extended to those with mental health difficulties which may prevent them from attending on polling day.

The Act also includes measures to facilitate registration for electors whose safety may be at risk if their details are published on the register and those with no address.

Minister of State Malcolm Noonan said that the changes provided in the Act “give us a more accessible, flexible and modern system that’s simple and straightforward to use”.

“It has never been easier for people to register to vote or update their details, so that’s what we’re encouraging everyone to do today.”