Increase to student maintenance grants effective from this week

The highest brackets of maintenance funding have increased by 14%, with all other rates are increased by 10%

Increases to student maintenance grants announced as part of Budget 2023 have come into effect, Minister for Further and Higher Education Simon Harris announced yesterday.

Students eligible for the Special and Band 1 rates from Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) will see their grant increase by 14%, while all other rates are increased by 10%.

Speaking yesterday, Minister Harris said that the student maintenance grant “is incredibly important for thousands of students and their families across the country”.

He added that government “also recognised that it needed to be improved to help with the challenges of inflationary pressures and a cost of living crisis”.

Budget 2023 included a number of measures to reduce the cost of college, including a one-time €1,000 reduction to the student contribution charge.

Students in the highest bracket of SUSI funding, the Special Rate, also received a double payment of their maintenance grant in December.

Harris added: “It is my job as Minister to ensure every person, regardless of their background, has the same opportunity to access further and higher education.

“That is why we reduced the contribution fee by €1,000 for all undergraduate students eligible for free fees, and effective from today we are increasing all student maintenance grant payments by at least 10%. It is why the government reduced public transport fees too.”

He continued: “I know the cost of education remains a challenge for many in this country, but I am determined to continue introducing measures to ensure no one is left behind because they can’t afford to follow their educational goals.”