Trinity graduate awarded Provost’s Fellowship in Curating 2022-2023

Director of The Douglas Hyde Gallery, Georgina Jackson: “These opportunities are so crucial to foster future generations of curators and arts workers.”

College announced yesterday the awarding of the Provost’s Fellowship in Curating 2022-2023 to Trinity graduate Aisling Clark. Established in 2020, the Provost’s Fellowship in Curating offers recent graduate students the opportunity to work within The Douglas Hyde Gallery for a period of 12 months. 

Supported by the office of the provost, the fellowship offers hands-on work and mentorship. The fellow is given insight into the daily workings of the organisation and its programme while contributing to discourses within the Gallery, Trinity, and further afield.

Aisling Clark holds an LLB in Law from Trinity. She was a Reid Scholar and undertook her capstone research project on the repatriation of cultural objects in museums and decolonization. She is also a graduate of the MSc Modern & Contemporary Art: History, Curating and Criticism programme at the University of Edinburgh.

Director of The Douglas Hyde Gallery, Georgina Jackson, stated: “These opportunities are so crucial to foster future generations of curators and arts workers.”

“Aisling has come to art while studying law here in Trinity and most recently completed her masters at the University of Edinburgh. We are delighted to welcome her to the team and look forward to working with her to realise an event in late 2023.”

On her appointment, Aisling Clark stated that she felt “extremely fortunate to be working at the Douglas Hyde as the Curatorial Fellow this year”. Emphasising the precarious nature of many jobs in the arts, she said that opportunities that offer a living wage and meaningful work to those starting out in the field of curating are “close to non-existent”.

Provost Linda Doyle congratulated Clark on her Fellowship, highlighting The Douglas Hyde as “an outstanding space for contemporary art in Ireland”, and the Fellowship as a “really fantastic opportunity”.